In 1953 East Germany was desperate for parts for their aging supply of weapons left over from 1945. The East Germans made small test runs of P.38's and Lugers with the "N" prefix for "Neufertigung" or in English "New" production.
The general serial number range of the Lugers is N1001-N1100 and they are thought to be made at the old Krieghoff factory at Suhl.
Presented here is most likey the only consecutive numbered pair of East German "New" production Lugers in existence. Shortly after the production run, the Russians supplied the DDR with Makarov and Tokarev pistols so they were put in storage until after the Berlin wall fell for the guns to be imported into the USA.